Description Heading link
The Research Coordinator (RC+) Certificate Program is a comprehensive educational certificate program for UIC research personnel involved in clinical, translational, community-based, social and/or behavioral sciences.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
New and/or experienced research coordinators, research specialists, or other research personnel, including those with project, personnel and/or grant management responsibilities.
- Offer training and professional development opportunities for health research personnel that will add value to their resume and support their career advancement
- Increase the knowledge and self-efficacy of research staff in performing their job responsibilities
- Communicate standards and best practices for the responsible conduct of research specific to the roles and responsibilities of research coordinators at UIC
- Provide a competency standard recognized by PIs, faculty and/or unit administration when hiring and promoting research personnel
- Provide a competency standard modeled on the domains outlined in the Joint Task Force for Clinical Trial Competency
Certificate Value Statement Heading link
This program will provide an important foundation for new personnel or refresh knowledge for experienced research staff. Staff who complete the certificate program will receive training in key research competencies, thereby increasing their knowledge and self-efficacy in performing UIC job responsibilities.
Certificate Requirements Heading link
- Human Subjects Research Training
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) Training
- Information Privacy & Security (IPS) for Researchers Training
Overview of Clinical Research
Northwestern University Clinical & Translational Science Institute (NUCATS) Lectures
- Introduction to Clinical Research
- Research Misconduct
- Orientation to Research at UIC
- Submitting to the IRB: Getting Started
Attend a talk addressing each of these (8) competencies*
- Scientific Concepts and Research Design
- Ethical and Participant Safety Considerations
- Medicines Development and Regulation
- Clinical Trials Operations
- Study and Site Management
- Data Management and Informatics
- Leadership and Professionalism
- Communication and Teamwork
* The 8 core competencies as outlined in the Joint Task Force for Clinical Trial Competency
- Financial Management and Reporting: Pre-award
- Financial Management and Reporting: Post-award
- Research Project Management: Getting Started (with a primary focus on Study Start Up)
- Research Project Management: Issues in the Field (e.g., data collection/management; prep for audit)
- Informed Consent
- Recruitment and Retention
- Engaging with Communities in Research
*Please note that RC+ participation is not eligible for course credit within formal degree or stackable certificate programs.